Here’s a fun fact – The city of Amsterdam fishes out 15,000 bicycles from its canals each year. Can you imagine?
What makes a person toss a bicycle in a canal? Are the bikes stolen? Do these people want a new set of wheels? What happens to these bikes? I have SO many questions about this.
If you’re heading out on an 8 day Rhine river cruise, Amsterdam is a starting or stopping point for you. Extend a few days and see the sights.
What Should I Do in Amsterdam?
Rent a bike and go. (Duh, I know)
Meander the winding streets of the Jordaan neighborhood. Enjoy the charming shops and cafes along the peaceful canals. Shoppers – go to Noordermarkt for some great finds.(Check Here for dates and times)
People watch in Vondelpark. Have a picnic there. People watch some more.
See the windmills at the Zaanse Schans. You’ll get to see some of the best-preserved windmills in the country. You could ride a bike here too. A trail runs all the way from Amsterdam. (Just sayin.)
For a quintessential Amsterdam experience, dine on a quaint riverboat during sunset.
And by gosh, keep your eyes peeled for any bicycle parts when you’re cruising the canals.
Where Should I Stay?
I’m glad you asked. 🙂 My top pick in Amsterdam is the Sofitel Legend the Grand.
What’s to like?
- History – Take a tour of this gem of a hotel and learn more about the two convents that used to be here. You will also hear stories about famous guests that include royalty, dignitaries, and foreign statesmen.
- Location – The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to many of the major sites. It’s also a short stroll to the central train station.
- Well-Appointed Rooms – Would you like a canal view? Many rooms have them. (Yay!)
- Bridges Restaurant – Dinner is top-notch.
- Simplicity – River Cruise Transfer Service is available for Pre/Post Stays.
- Attentive Staff – This is the real reason to stay here. You will be made to feel like family.
And, the perks of course!
Do you love perks? Below are the amenities you can enjoy when I take care of your reservations at the Sofitel Legend the Grand. Take a peek at the perks!
- Culinary Welcome Amenity
- Full breakfast for 2 daily, also available through room service (Yay for room service! 🙂 )
- $100 USD Food and Beverage credit, per room, per stay(only with luxury room category and above)
- Upgrade(based on availability)
- Early Check-In/Late Check-Out(based on Availability)
*(These amenities are always subject to change but are accurate at the time of this writing)
Would you like to go to Amsterdam now? Contact me and let’s get started!